What are the features of the Emergency Response Support System?
Himachal Pradesh has become the first state to launch pan-India single emergency number ‘112’ under Emergency Response Support System (ERSS).
Features of the ERSS:
- ERSS marks the beginning of commencement of a single number based 112 emergency services which will connect to Police, Fire, Health and other helplines through an Emergency Response Centre in the State.
- ERSS obviates the need for citizens to remember multiple helpline numbers.
- The Emergency response center has been integrated with Police (100), Fire (101), Health (108) and Women helpline (1090) Services to provide emergency services via single emergency number – 112.
- ERSS also has a ‘112 India’ mobile app integrated with Panic Button of smartphones and ERSS State website for ease of citizen in availing immediate assistance.
- The ERC has also been integrated with Location Based Services provided by Telecom Service Providers to increase the effectiveness of Emergency Response.
- A SHOUT feature has been introduced in ‘112 India’ mobile app to seek immediate assistance from registered volunteers in the vicinity apart from the immediate assistance from the Emergency Response Centre. This SHOUT feature which is available exclusively for women aims at ensuring the safety of women.
Citing the success of the Himachal Pradesh in rolling out the ERSS project, the Union Home Ministry has requested other States and Union Territories to make all-out efforts to commence rollout of their ERSS project.